Thursday, July 16, 2015

Fryman Canyon LA


    Los Angeles has a series of pocket parks that run along both sides of the Hollywood and Beverly Hills ridgeline. If you look at a map they seem to hang from Mulholland drive - flanking green patches scattered between the massif of Griffith Park and the immensity of the Santa Monica preserve west of the 405.
If all you did was drive by them, you'd never know they were there.
I didn't for years.
They're Godsends. Public space hidden within the tightly guarded real estate of West LA.
They're great because once you're inside them you can smell California and not California traffic.
California flora when it bakes in the sun for weeks and months has a kind of intoxicating tang. It's neither sweet nor acrid, it's a little of both. Some eucalyptus oil poured over cooked desert flowers and the rich bark of live oaks. The air warmed with this atomized duff.
  And because there's so little water, scent is reduced to what it actually is - an inhalant, particles of things, living and dead, coating the lining of your mouth and your nose. Which all seems a little creepy, but California's creepy. It's an absurdly beautiful and absurdly cruel landscape. It's attractive and dangerous. It's rich beyond measure and dumbfoundingly wasteful. And you read all this in a glance. As was said about a famous Hollywood magnate "he won't stab you in the back he'll stab you in the chest." So goes the Golden State.
   The same thing occurs when you first cross the Mojave, or see El Capitan, or crest the Tehachapi pass and there's the Central Valley, or stand beneath the surf at Half Moon Bay, or enter a room at Universal with 10 executives who control your fate and a network that spans the globe....the reaction is twofold... "my God what power". And ...."I'm gonna die here."
   But in a tiny twisting little park, hanging off the back of the Hollywood Hills, cut between estates and cul de sacs you can enjoy California lite and get a decent work out among shrubbery and trees that once in awhile obscure the fact you are dead center of a 7 million person metropolis.
  Which is something that always astounds me.
   I was on the return leg of my loop and, for 30 minutes, I saw and passed no one.
   Not a single person.
   I can't quite wrap my head around this fact; that you can still find yourself alone in LA, or New York, or San Fran or any of these mega cities, it just doesn't seem likely, but then there you are, following a trail, riding thru Central Park at 10 pm, crossing the Golden Gate in a decent wind, and somehow you are the only one there.
   It's a gift. A little grace parceled out to each city and I suppose if you seek enough your karma it sometimes finds you.
   At the far end of my loop I'd gone searching for a special spot, a sort of box canyon some friends had shown me years before. You had to climb past what supposedly was George Clooney's old house lined with security cameras, and then up a steep staircase, weave along a trail which ran below more mansions, one of which was the beauty built by Jennifer Aniston for Brad Pitt that ended up being the empty shell built to honor Angelina Jolie's beauty. But 3/4's of a mile on you'd find a place where water almost always ran, real water not sewage, coming off the escarpment of LA and creating a tiny tropical corner. Maybe half an acre but in there everything is green. The eucalyptus trees are 100 feet tall, the Oaks three people at the base couldn't get their arms around. The place seems just a little bit like home, back East, where parks should have trees and trees and trees not just scrub.
  It was still there, still green, or "greenish" as California's drought has turned all its dirt to a dust as fine as sand on the moon and its plant life into a kind of kindling, but the stream was running and the leaves on the ground were alive. I felt like I was in a borrowed version of Frick Park, the city park in Pittsburgh I most like to pretend I can still get lost in. So I lingered, I saw the remains of a rope swing my friends and I had used 10 years before, laughing that we still loved this shit at our age. I wanted to grab it now.
  And then George Clooney walked by.
 I looked up when I heard someone coming toward me. Saw an older man, pretty fit, knee braces, silver back hair, led by one of those fabulous dogs only the coolest people keep- half husky, half something with half an ear gone and one eye blue, one yellow. A dog that looks like it's always smiling. And a dog that looks like it could drag you out of a crevasse.
   Of course it wasn't Clooney it was that other guy who looks like Clooney but even more like an ex football player from the 70s, not quite big enough but bigger than you, the duller Clooney clone who didn't quite get the parts - you'd know him if you saw him.
   I said something like "Now that's a dog." and the guy half smiled and I thought, yeah I'm wearing my Steeler's shirt and either you get "GO PITTSBURGH!!!!"  or you get that quiet jealous smirk from all the losers who somehow decided to throw in with Oakland or Dallas or Denver and he was one of the latter. So big deal.
   And then I realized, No, he's not smiling because for a few minutes he'd been alone and blissful and then this dude showed up who looked like that actor from...."Well, you'd know him if you saw him", he probably told his wife when he got back.
 I realized, we'd found each other and cancelled ourselves out.
 I put my head down and made no sign I'd done the same thing everyone usually does to both of us.
  Just another day in Los Angeles.

 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Dave. I discovered your blog last week, and I’ve been reading backward a few posts each day. I especially enjoyed your posts on Ireland. Sure, an’ it’s a lovely wee island. One I’d love to revisit sometime in the future.

    I have debated for days whether or not to comment since I’m just a peasant commoner, and you’re a famous person. ☺ I know I’m a complete stranger to you, and you had asked that your friends comment on your writing, but I couldn’t pass up an opportunity to encourage a fellow writer. While I don’t think you need encouragement, you seem very secure in your talent, I still wanted to let you know what your blog has done for me. First of all, it has motivated me to start blogging again. Thanks. ☺

    I like your style. It’s down to earth, conversational, and I can almost hear your physical voice coming off the page. If I had to sum up your writing in three words they would be the following: Entertaining. Raw. Fluid.

    I have been entertained seeing the world through your eyes. Your descriptions of some of the places you’ve seen are beautiful word pictures that place me there. When you wrote about Fryman Canyon, though my experience was of different places and fragrances, I was reminded of the piney scent in the air at Muir Woods or Sequioa National Park. I was able to connect with what you wrote, and that brought back a fond memory of last year’s family vacation to California.

    There is also a raw side to some of your posts. They can be angry, rants about injustice or rudeness or just things that irritate you. You have the courage to speak out against issues that not everyone would want to address. Sometimes I sense a bit of melancholy, a loneliness or longing that I don’t know enough about you to understand.

    You have an interesting way of putting together words in the same post that might not, at first glance, seem to go together. At times there is an erudite fluidity in the way you use words, lovely, archaic terms like celerity. (I had to look that one up.) The sentences flow from word to word like oil gliding on water. But then, out of nowhere, I’m jarred out of the water by curse words. So I’m not a curser, those words are not in my vocabulary, and maybe that’s why they seem jarring. But hey, it works, and I keep reading. Your topics are all over the place, but I like that, too. It shows the many dimensions of who you are. And that, I guess, is what blogging is all about. Sharing pieces of yourself with anyone who is willing to take the time to read. I’ll stop now. I’ve practically written an entire post here, but wordiness is one of my writing weaknesses. Have a great day/evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If i wrote this:
    "I took a walk. I saw a guy with a dog. I said hi. He said hi. Then we both turned around and went home."

    Your story is much more interesting.

    ...now i am trying to guess the actor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh David... You are such a wonderful and lovely guy and I really like your posts on this Blog. I hope I meet you some day. Lovely greetings from Germany...

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post, david! now i've got to check out fryman canyon! i hung out one weekend in coldwater canyon with my stunt woman friend who was housesitting "an industry person's" lovely digs. the hollywood hills are amazing and it's great if you have some "insider" info on the coolest hiking spots. not sure i'd be able to find your special box canyon without getting arrested for trespassing, though i probably look like i belong there. for many years i was mistaken for debra winger. LOL!

    but you are right! california does have a lot of little pockets of paradise – green and brown. among them is massacre canyon, where the natives harvested chia seeds. i have yet to find a hiking mate to check this place out! http://s80.photobucket.com/user/dblin/media/Hemet_News_Massacre_Canyon_Waterfal.jpg.html

    (also, much of gilman springs road is owned by the church of scientology. their "gold base" is nestled in them thar hills. you can see the terrain a little in this gossip piece: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2168482/Snipers-razor-wire-prison-cells--inside-secret-Scientology-HQ-Katie-fear-Suri.html).

    then there's nearby idyllwild, which climbs up the san jacintos, then spills into the wild coachella valley where glamorous palm springs, et. al. sit baking in the sun most days of the year. from mountains to desert in less than a day. mystical joshua tree national park is also nearby in a neighboring valley.

    what would we do without these green get-aways? or the brown ones? like death valley national park. (i did a full moon hike in one of death valley's canyons and it was still 100ºF at midnight! bleh! even naked it was too much!) right now many of this area's wilderness trails are closed due to fire danger.

    also, i can totally relate to getting a little perturbed at having your reverie interrupted when you think you're the only one out there. all of us solitude seekers are guilty of it, i suppose. at the end of the day, "joe namath" with his cool dog probably "forgave" your "intrusion". LOL!

    p.s. tehachapi is a beautiful little town and its mountains beautiful. unfortunately most of that land is privately owned. ranchers. a lot of people hate the wind turbines, but, sheesh, seriously? at the base of the tehachapi's is mojave, where it's so windy that the trees are forever bent sideways.

    happy trail and safe journeys, david.

    ReplyDelete
  6. an Australian shepherd, this seems to be the kind of beautiful dog you've seen...

    Really liked this part:
    "California flora when it bakes in the sun for weeks and months has a kind of intoxicating tang. It's neither sweet nor acrid, it's a little of both. Some eucalyptus oil poured over cooked desert flowers and the rich bark of live oaks. The air warmed with this atomized duff.
    And because there's so little water, scent is reduced to what it actually is - an inhalant, particles of things, living and dead, coating the lining of your mouth and your nose. Which all seems a little creepy, but California's creepy. It's an absurdly beautiful and absurdly cruel landscape. It's attractive and dangerous. It's rich beyond measure and dumbfoundingly wasteful. And you read all this in a glance."

    Very nice!

    ReplyDelete