Saturday, January 21, 2017

Ride- Jan 21 PV

   Palos Verdes fixates me. It's a pain in the ass to get to, and even more of a pain in the ass today, but once I'm there...I just wanna make the wheels spin. I wanna stay.
   I don't mean I wanna live there...what did MacArthur say "Old soldiers never die, they just...fade away." ? The PV pennisular paraphrase is "Old Republicans never die...they just... Palos Verdes."  I just like to do loops and feel the wind and the chill it often holds. A cloud hangs over it.
   The hills call me, there's a wildness still to the place, the cliffs on the near side of Portugese Bend -which if you come to LA are the one piece of nature you should see, LA Crest and the Santa Monicas be damned- the roads are always collapsing and houses shifting and people falling into sink holes (oddly enough the closer you get Trump's national golf course empire which owns the coast just above San Pedro - another little So Cal gem of town)- but you can ride around the place for hours and hardly see a soul not in a car. Its so odd: money and California. People just hole up. They stay indoors or they're in transit or shopping. Unfair of course but I've gotta have ridden thru PV 100 times and there are homes Ive never seen anyone in, around, or coming out of. They're investments.
  Which let me say when you're cruising around on a popsicle stick of a bike is just fine. Fewer surprises, free agents and fools, the better.
   So it's 15 miles to get there, well from my current pit of an apartment it's 25 but you do a flat warm up and then on mile 30 you're climbing 8,9 degrees and sometimes more and you can do that for ...however...and then a flat spin back.
   Shit roads, crap bike path, sand heaps blown into access roads, the usual mad melange of ear bud walkers, skaters, bozos on a stroll ( "hey try the pedestrian path where I'd be arrested if I rode my bike on- it's right there!") bikers with their dogs on a lease stretching across the entire path. Geniuses all. Liberty and its fallout victims. Learn to slalom.
   But run that gauntlet and you can climb a switchback as lovely as a ski slope and stand by the Pacific coast road and watch porpoises and seals gambol in the surf. You'll get headwinds on some of the descents that will scare you cold but you'll also get tailwinds that'll lift you right to the crest and push you home.
   Home....funny to use the word in LA.
   PV - A beauty of a place to ride thru. Got a soft spot for it and its El Rancho aesthetic.
   call it 65 miles.
 

6 comments:

  1. Haven't had an opportunity to travel really. You are so descriptive in your writings, you have a way of really drawing the reader in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a 40-year-old. My Hepatitis B (HBV) disease appeared at the age of 34, with no hope of a cure from the hospital i looked further for an alternative treatments, a friend of mine told me about Health Herbal Clinic in Nigeria who sell herbal treatments for diseases including Hepatitis B disease, I contacted the herbal clinic via their website and purchased the HBV herbal remedy. I received the herbal remedy through DHL couriers within 8 days and i immediately commenced usage as prescribed, i used the herbal remedy for about a month and 1 week, my condition has greatly improved, all my symptoms including Abdominal pain, Nausea and vomiting, Loss of appetite, I am HBV free! contact Health Herbal Clinic via their email draribaspelltemple@gmail.com or visit https://m.facebook.com/greatdrariba.. PLS HBV is not a death sentence, there is a cure!
      Whatsapp: +2348140439497

      Delete
  2. The last time I got sun burnt was hiking out to Sacred Cove in Paolos Verdes. Right on the top of my calves, where I've never been burnt before. We poked at the sealife in the tide pools and I watched a guy jump in and swim under the rock. I thought he wasn't going to make it, but he did. There's an inherent fatalism to Paolos Verdes, one day it will be in the ocean. Perhaps it's a microcosm of California itself. Frank Lloyd Wright designed chapel up in the hills. I hope I'm dead before it falls in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS
    I was diagnosed of hepatitis B in 2011, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor , who prepare herbal medicine to cure different kind of diseases including hepatitis b virus (HBV), when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email, he sent me hepatitis b herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from this virus within 8 days of usage. any body with similar problem can Contact this great herbal doctor via his email drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product .and thanks to you admin for such an informative blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings to the general public, I want to tell about how I was cured of Hepatitis B disease by a Doctor called Dr. Alli. I was browsing the Internet searching for remedy on Hepatitis B and I saw a comment of people talking about how Doctor Alli cured them. I was scared because I never believed in the Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i having no hope of been cured of Hepatitis B so I decided to contact him with his email that was listed on the comment (allispellhelp1@gmail.com) when I contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that I took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my Hepatitis B result came out negative. I pray for you Dr. Alli God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being sincere and great men. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any problem Email: Allispellhelp1@gmail.com or Add him up on What-sap +2348100772528

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear FRIENDS,
    now i have a beautiful smiling face and so are which you all, after reading my testimony. My name is Nita, I am 31 years old,
    And live with my boyfriend in Belgium, but I am UK. I have been diagnosed with hepatitis b since 2012, which the Doctors told me this condition was forever. I know how you feel and what you are going through, I don't have a baby though. I just want to tell you that I am cured now,with the help of doctor Williams herbal medication, the last time I can remember having hepatitis b was October this year. It was a long and difficult process but I am so thankful to dr williams I don't have it anymore. Please know you can be cured too. Accept what happened and is happening to you, forgive, let the past go, love yourself and others unconditionally and be thankful. Everything happens for a reason. If you want to be in contact with dr williams and share your own testimony and thoughts feel free to e-mail him on; drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product.

    ReplyDelete